Thursday 20 September 2012

Moroccan Chicken One Pot

Officially the, or at least one of the nicest stews/evening meals I think I've ever made. I honestly can't describe how good this was, but we had it for family meal night, and the whole family were in love with it. maybe it was because it was the last family meal night before I go to uni, or maybe it was just that good, but something when on tonight and this was awesome.
I was inspired by the front cover of good Food magazine. It's a sort of Moroccan stew/one pot dish which I adapted in my own way.
I don't usually document savoury dishes as often as i do sweet on here as they are much harder to photograph, and I'm not the best photographer!! But this was so tasty I felt it had to be shared with you.
ingredient's: (my version of the good food dish)
4-6 chicken breasts
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions
4 tomato's
1 tin chopped tomato's
ginger for grating
3 garlic cloves or a dessert spoon of garlic puree
1 tsp turmeric
1 desert spoon of cumin,coriander 
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 large butternut squash
1/2 bag thinly chopped cabbage (obviously you can chop your own they were just reduced in Tesco)
 1pt chicken stock
 2 tbsp vinegar (red wine or cider)
1 tablespoon honey
handful of dries cranberries.

method:
In a frying pan with the olive oil, brown both sides of the chicken breasts, and then set to one side. With the remaining oil in the same pan, add the onions and tomatoes (I blitzed mine in a food processor to form a sort of paste, but you could chop them finely if you don't have one). Add the grated ginger and the garlic. return the chicken to the dish and add the chopped tomato's and chicken stock. now add the vinegar and honey. Now add your spices (turmeric,cumin,chilli flakes,and coriander. chop the butternut squash into pieces (small-medium) and add to the dish. season and cook in the oven for about 2 hours on gas mark 3-4. 
20 mins before serving add the chopped cabbage, and when serving add the cranberries.

 I served our with pan fried mange-tout with salt and pepper, and mash potato. It was a real hit and so comforting on a cold September evening :) I also added a few leaves of mint because once again I like to add mint to EVERYTHING, and it also added a nice green colour.
 I hope you enjoy as much as we all did at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment