2kg/4½lbs large ripe plum tomatoes, halved/
2 garlic bulbs, cut in half horizontally
2 large red onions, peeled, quartered
few sprigs fresh thyme
1 1/2 tbsp Honey
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
250ml/9fl oz vegetable stock (optional)
100ml/3½fl oz single cream (optional)
few drops Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 8.
2. Place the tomatoes, garlic, onions and thyme into a large roasting tin and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with the oil, and roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
3. I said use two bulbs of garlic, with the first, pull the bulbs from their skin and mash in with the soup. The other is purely to enjoy as a sweet little treat for all you garlic fans out there, though if you everyone is a fan in the house, you could always add it to the soup as well.
4. Tip the roasted tomatoes and onions into a food processor along with the mashed garlic, and pulse until smooth.
5. If the soup is too thick, pour into a large saucepan and loosen the mixture with either vegetable stock, or single cream. Add a little Worcestershire sauce to season, if you like.
This is a recipe I have addapted from Sophie Dahl's Recipe Book, which is really worth buying if you can.