Wednesday 1 February 2012

Apple, Blueberry & Ginger Crumble

Crumble Time!
One of my favourite warm puddings is crumble, especially apple varieties. I usually like apple and raspberry but my grandma bought me a punnet of blueberries so i thought id give them a go this time instead, and they were very tasty, and give the crumble this beautiful berry pink colour.
 Ingredients:
For the crumble:
70g flour
40g caster sugar
70g margarine or butter
 35g Muesli
For the filling:
700g cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered
 
1 punnet Blueberries
50g sugar, to sweeten
 1 tablespoon ginger & lemon-grass cordial
1 teaspoon grated ginger


Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
Peel and core the apples, quarter and cut in to chunks.
Put the apples into a pan with the sugar, cordial and grated giner. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes and place in a small ovenproof dish. I like to use Pyrex glass dishes, as you get the see the gorgeous colours of the fruit on the sides of the bowl. Now add the blueberries to the apples (or whatever other berries you fancy).
Place the flour and oats in a bowl and mix well. Cut the margarine or butter into small cubes and add this to the oats and flour. Mix with your fingertips until it resembles an even crumb texture. Add the sugar and mix through.
Cover the fruit with the crumble mixture. Bake for approximately 30 minutes until the crumble is golden and the apple hot.
 I used mainly cooking apples, but I added two pink ladies as well as I love the taste of them.
 My favourite part of the crumble (minus the taste of course) is the beautiful colours of the fruit when you use berries. I also like scraping off and eating the sticky berries on the side of the dish once everyone has had their portion.
Finally serve with Vanilla ice cream, custard or cream :) This was the picture before I attacked mine with whipped cream (Because we didn't have ice cream).

No comments:

Post a Comment