Tuesday 17 July 2012

Jazz up lunchtimes!

I love Hummus. I particuarly like Tesco's caramalised onion hummus, and went through a phase in Sixth form of eating a pot everyday with some cucumber and a stick of bread. Now I have it a lot less frequently as back in the day, but I have no started to try and make my own as a bit of an experimet. I waswatching river Cottage the other night and theres was an old version where Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was talking about how we should try to experiment more with our lunches instead of opting for the standard sandwhich! I totally agree with this and have always enjoyed a selction of odd and deliciosu good opposed to a sanwhich (Not that I don;t like sandwchiches, I do, they can just sometimes be a bit monotanous) .
Making your own hummus is dead easy and you can jazz it up by adding caramlised onions, roasted peppers, lemon, chives, you name it!
Recipe from River Cottage
 Ingredient's :  
1 400g tin chickpeas
2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp tahini (i get mine form Morrisons)
70ml extra virgin olive oil
1tsp ceyene pepper
salt & pepper

In a bowl mix all the ingredients together except the seasoning then blitz to a puree in a food processor. Tip back into the mixing bowl, stir well and season. Spoon into a suitable hummus receptacle and serve with a good shot of extra virgin and an extra sprinkling of cayenne pepper.


Hummus can also be frozen so if you make too much you can always save it for another day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment