Friday 20 July 2012

Proper Rice Pudding - grandma style

Proper rice pudding, not any of the ambrosia rubbish, reminds me of both my grandma's. It's one of those dishes they both made when I visited whilst younger (well I still go to tea with my grandma, but now I also make her her tea as part of family meal night), and it would always be so delicious. Its creamy and sweet, and I've always been a fan of the skin on the top, some love it, others like my mum really hate it! 
So as part of family meal night, I decided to give it a go myself - and boy was it worth it.We had chicken and summer vegetable stew with cheese and leek mash, then followed by this bad boy.
My grandad actually said  it reminded him of how his mother (my great grandmother) used to make, which caused quite a stir with my grandma (in a funny way) whilst we devoured our molten hot pudding.
Scott usually joins us on family meal night but he's currently volunteering as part of the Olympics in London, and is away for two weeks, but I've been documenting Everything and  vice versa, so we can both keep up to date with what each other are doing :)
He sorely missed out on this weeks tea though....
 Ingredients :
Makes 4
 I did 4x the amount as we all eat big portions and it keeps in the fridge for a day or two

50g pudding Rice
1 pint of whole milk.
1 can evaporated milk (the small ones)
30g or one ounce of sugar
2 knobs of Butter 
Ground Nutmeg

1. Turn the oven on to Gas mark 3 
2. Grease an oven proof dish with butter, then wash the rice in cold water and drain thoroughly. Add all the ingredients to the dish and stir until everything is well mixed.
3. Cook for 30 minutes.
4. Now remove the rice pudding and give it a good stir. You may want to repeat this after another 20 mins or so.
Cook for another hour - or hour 1/2 depending on the texture of the pudding. I like having a browned skin on the top, but if you don't you could peel it off or stir it in to make it less noticeable.
And that's it! The instructions are simple, the only hard part is being patient whilst it cooks as it can take between 1 - 2 hours to cook properly.



 We had ours in Bridgewater bowls, and served with a good helping of strawberry jam. 

Enjoy :)

1 comment: